Outlook relies on the Windows username / password store to save passwords for the application. When "save password" is checked two entries should appear in the "Stored Username and Password" box which include:
1) The external front end name owa.smarshexchange.com and
2) The backend mailbox servername of pit-exmbx-xx.smarshexchange.com
The issue with the above configuration is that other servers in the smarshexchange.com domain may authenticate the user. With this in mind a wildcard should be added to the Stored Username and Password box. To do so follow these steps:
-Run "control keymgr.dll" from command line
-Click "Add" button
- In the "Log on to:" box type: *.smarshexchange.com
- Username: user email address
- Password: user password
Click ok then re-launch outlook.
Note: in Vista / Windows7 you will always have the user click "add" button. In Windows XP you may need to edit the account that already exists instead of adding new.
Note: For Windows XP Please refer to this link:
*if the password still does not save please try the additional steps below:
1. Open the Registry Editor by clicking Start > Run. Type regedit in the box, and then press Enter.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
3. In the right pane, double-click lmcompatibilitylevel.
4. In the Value data box, type a value of 2 and then click OK.
5. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.